James Joyce

This is a site for ReJoycing. For all things Joycean.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Martello

I climbed the tiny,
Stone steps,
To the place where,
You slept.

Looked at your thin,
Wooden cane.

Traced your lives,
In the gold embroidery,
Of your waistcoat.

Shed a tear,
At the intimacy of it all.

Climbed to the summit,
Traced my finger,
Along mortar joints,
Looked out at the bathing lake,
Where old age swam.
The chip! chop! waters,
Icy and treacherous.

I put in my toe,
And my whole body,
Tingled,
As I flip-flopped,
Out to sea.

You could see the top of Howth Head,
From here,
The swell of,
Cliff,
And Nora's walking boot cloud above.

I near froze to death that day,
In the water,
Looking up at where once you lay,
Moving and spitting seeds,
On the ledge of life.

I try to,
In my clumsy way,
Swim it all in.

Touch a blade of grass on the path.

I hold the giant handle,
Of that Eccles Street door,
Only it is not,
whole.

All black and brooding it is,
Angry at being,
Propped up in a tiny tea shop,
In a dusty corner.

Tea-sets and quiet.

3 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Stephen Rowntree said...

Absolutely beautiful! I walked every step, felt every curl of wind, the briny sweetness of the Irish sea, thank you my dearest Molly.

I was there beside you, if only blanketed in my thoughts.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember coming over all choked when we stood looking at his waistcoat and cane, and the tie given him by Beckett.

Do you remember the flowers where some poor sod had gone over the edge at Howth Head?

St Anthony/Malign Fiesta

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Stephen - thankyou for your kind words.

Anthony - yes, it is really cool there. It is so dangerous up on Howth Head that you could easily slip over the side.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home