James Joyce

This is a site for ReJoycing. For all things Joycean.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Youlysend to

...you offered me goatsmilk off the bulb of your tongue, youlystened to the scolding in my heart; you shared bread and Whiskey, you chased the surplices from my thoughts. I wrapped you in sailcloth and tears, cinching my arms round the corset of your hips. We stopped our ears with paraffin, the masthead tight between our legs, your eyes two green skips of coral, mine beery with fret. Be there one god or many, gods’speed and milk.

A-What's that?
B-Over here?
A-There…
B- I can’t see…
C- Over there?
D-I can’t…
E- See?
F-Yes…
G-At all?
H-Some…some…
I- Over here, look this way.
J- Away from there?
K-Over there.
L- Here?
M-There, here…there the same…
N- Oh.
O-Yes…
P- The same?
Q- As there…yes…identical, the same.
R- There or here, the same…yes?
S- Absolutely…identical…
T- The same, then…?
U-Yes…
V- Yes…
W-Oh…
X- See?

2 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really loved this. There's something really poignant about it all. I love the use of alphabet in the second part as well. Offering goatsmilk off the bulb of the tongue is really a beautiful line, as is the scolding in my heart. All of that first part is amazing 'beery with fret' - wonderful. Sums up the sadness, confusion, yet joy of new love I think.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Stephen Rowntree said...

So, so nice, wonderful, to read from you my dearest Molly...and thanks for you're kind words.

If my pocketbook allows, I may be in Ireland this August (a week or two depending on how much time I can wrangle out of work).

I want to stand at the edge of the Isle and gaze into the feral Irish Sea...that and sit on Joyce's ashplant.

Maybe, perhaps, a wee trip is in you're future?

Hmmmm,

Stephen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home