James Joyce

This is a site for ReJoycing. For all things Joycean.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Joyce's Sandinista

I may be stretching commonsense and good manners (not that that’s a stretch for me) but something, London Calling perhaps, tells me that James would have liked the Clash. I imagine him pogooing in some underground club, a bottle of Porter in hand, ‘daddy was a bank robber’ ringing in his ears, his hat toppling off his head, hats and Mohawks are an unlikely fit, feet shuffling, greatcoat tigered between his legs. James would have appreciated the Clash’s anger and forthrightness; they’re political incorrectness, the swirl and punch of they’re lyrics, they’re in-your-face-ness. If James had been a Punk, Ulysses would have been his Sandinista, ‘Cut the Crap’ his motto, ‘should I stay or should I go’ the last words he uttered before fleeing the Eyre.

1 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger St. Anthony said...

The thought of Joyce sporting a mohawk will stay with me ... it's a rich old subject, Joyce and music, pop and otherwise.
Like almost everywhere strand of the arts, the Joycean influence runs like a powerful subterranean river.
With those long legs of his, I can see him down in the moshpit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home