James Joyce

This is a site for ReJoycing. For all things Joycean.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Into the Blue

Down by the Martello Tower,
I dived in,
A rump, rising in the raw water,
So icy it was,
With the gradh swirling up and around.

Old man fingers grasping,
Seaweed hat,
And a tiny shell for a nose.
I surfaced.
Winter aconite-skin,
I am white, invisible,
I whispered into the waves.

Dipping and up onto rocks,
Slippery and stone-salt crunch of sand.

I saw blue-underwater,
Lips of bladderwrack,
Racing black slate-faces.

I was so cold, so cold,
The tower just a chalky, Dalkey boot-fact above me,
My red lips like the seeds you spat into my grin.

Those days, you lifted me out of water,
Onto cool sand drifts,
And aloft the white promontory.

1 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Stephen Rowntree said...

...raw water...the gradh swirling up and around... racing black slate-faces...aloft the white promontory...like the seeds your spat into my grin...I loveadorelove this piece, Molly, dearest Molly; it had me wishing I were adrift in the amniotic roil of the greatest of great Seas, never to resurface but for a taste of lips salted with seaweed and bladderwrack...!

Stephen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home